Top 5 Cloud security questions for CIOs
Cloud computing is one of the most significant technological trends we have witnessed and has the potential to change the very way we work. It is, nevertheless, important for CIOs to understand that we are currently in a pre-standard era of cloud computing and as such each organisation needs to be mindful of the myriad of security issues surrounding the cloud. Patrick Eijkenboom, principal consultant at NetIQ, suggests taking a measured approach and asking five security questions previously jumping into the cloud.
The cloud is going to disrupt everything in every industry. Organisations are going to remake themselves along the lines of cloud computing. Governments and media across the globe are supporting initiatives where organisations are encouraged to look to the cloud first for any new IT environments or updates.
The adoption of cloud computing has created significant challenges due to the variable security standards and practices in place for different cloud vendors and the changing threat environment. During these challenges may not be new in terms of security, the cloud quite simply amplifies these issues.
1. How big is your organisation? We don't need to be told that the size of an organisation has large implications on relevant security issues. For smaller businesses, the cloud can often be a more secure way to operate by moving all systems into a common management framework. For medium to large enterprises, there has been a lean toward more private cloud adoptions, with public cloud adoptions not inclusive of all key systems, however a justifiable percentage.
5. Are you using best practice? As adoption of cloud computing increases, there will be a growing pool of specific reference models and guidance. Review best practice and tools, and talk to the Cloud Security Alliance or cloud providers that are members of CSA.
In this pre-standards era of cloud computing, CIOs need to be smart when thinking about cloud computing and ensure all due diligence is made earlier taking the plunge.
The principal consultant with NetIQ Australia
Patrick Eijkenboom is the principal consultant with NetIQ Australia. NetIQ provides security and compliance management solutions and, as a corporate member of the Cloud Security Alliance, is committed to participating in the development and implementation of best practice recommendations for addressing security, audit and compliance needs specific to cloud computing.
This paper argues that Communication-Enabled Business Processes expose the true value of unified communications. Through reducing or completely removing human latency in processes, CEBP allow organizations to enjoy huge competitive and operational advantages.
Join CIO and your peers - CIOs of Australia's top corporate organisations for the most prestigious CIO networking event of 2010.
Be whisked away on a private luxury charter across Sydney Harbour to the fabulous Mosman Gunners Barracks for an evening of fine food, cocktails & peer-to-peer networking.
The challenge of our rapidly
George will talk about the challenge of our rapidly and monumentally changing world, providing personal insight, historical perspective and political edge for business, educators and governments grappling with the dilemmas of contemporary society - the world that has become George Negus's oyster.
Offers you a wealth of customer case studies,reference guides, IDC and Gartner innovation pieces, market landscape, videos and podcasts. As of November 1st this Resource centre will as well feature the photos, slide show and interviews from the 1st ever CIO HP Cocktail Networking event.
The latest software downloads
Provides you with the latest software downloads, video, whitepapers and news on how you can keep your business data safe.
Voip Security Questions
Questions To Consider Voip In The Cloud
Cloud Computing Security Questions
Questions For A Talk On A Cloud Computing
- · Rackspace debuts OpenStack cloud servers
- · America's broadband adoption challenges
- · EPAM Systems Leverages the Cloud to Enhance Its Global Delivery Model With Nimbula Director
- · Telcom & Data intros emergency VOIP phones
- · Lorton Data Announces Partnership with Krengeltech Through A-Quaâ¢ Integration into DocuMailer